sweet potato pie brownies
If you like fudgy chocolate brownies and hate to stop at eating just one, try this healthy version using our popular Baby’s Sweet Potato Pie! These are moist and even chewier after refrigeration. These were a hit in my son’s kindergarten class.
Prep time 20 minutes, bake time 50 minutes (+ chill overnight)
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. cinnamon, ground
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
6 egg whites
Olive oil cooking spray
1/2 cup low-fat plain cream cheese
3 tbsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1 tbsp. water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a food processor, combine Baby Gourmet Sweet Potato Pie, agave, oil and vanilla. Purée until combined and smooth.
- Gradually mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined; do not over-mix.
- In a separate dry bowl, whisk egg whites until fluffy. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Lightly spray sides of baking pan (9 x 9 x 2-inch) with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and place into oven. Bake for about 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and allow brownies to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- While brownies are cooking or cooling, prepare icing. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, agave, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Whisk until incorporated, adding 1 tbsp. water if mixture is hard to whisk. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Loosen brownie and turn slab out onto a cutting board or platter. Cut into 16 pieces, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, divide icing evenly over each brownie and serve immediately. Leftovers may be kept refrigerated in a resealable container for up to 2 days.
This dish is perfect for a preschool or kindergarten party.