orzo with peas, bacon & parmesan
Prep time 5 minutes, cook time 20 minutes. Serves 6
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup shallots, finely diced (about 3)
1 1/2 cups orzo
3 cups chicken broth
3 ounces bacon, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen petit peas, thawed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated + extra for sprinkling
4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté shallots for 2 minutes,
- Add orzo and sauté for another 2 minutes until slightly browned.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until orzo is
tender and liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, sauté bacon over medium-high heat until brown, about 4
minutes. Set aside.
- Add peas and Parmesan to orzo, combine. Stir in the cooked bacon and fresh dill and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with a little reserved Parmesan and serve in a large bowl
Replace the bacon with mushrooms if you'd prefer a more veggie-focused meal!