lentil marinara over spaghetti squash
Another delicious meatless Monday recipe! Every now and again I need a light meal that is not only hearty and healthy but also loved by all. I always come back to this easy, protein and veggie packed meal. Don’t be turned off by the 1- hour bake time, once the squash is in the oven, this recipe couldn’t be easier!
- Gluten Free
- Egg Free
- Serves 4
- For PICKY EATERS: remove a portion of simple marinara sauce prior to adding lentils. Serve tomato sauce over spaghetti squash, top with Parmesan.
- TIP: To make this recipe even easier- Add lentils to a good, store bought tomato marinara in replace of homemade. Simmer together to warm and serve over cooked spaghetti squash.
- Tid Bit: 3/4 cup cooked lentils provides more potassium than a large banana and contains 13g of protein
1 large spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small onion, diced
1-28oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1-28oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Place squash; cut side up, in a baking dish, pour ½ inch of water in the bottom of the dish. Bake until soft to pierce with a knife, approximately 45 minutes. Once slightly cooled, use a fork to pull squash from the skin into spaghetti like strips. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet, sauté garlic and onion on medium high until soft, approx 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and oregano and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Add lentils and fresh basil; simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
- Top squash with lentil marinara, Parmesan and season with salt & pepper.
- For BABY: Pulse 3 tbsp. of squash, 1 tbsp. of lentil marinara and 2 tbsp. water in mini processor until desired consistency is reached. Add additional liquid if necessary. Cool and serve.