Creamy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Who doesn’t love the creamy goodness of the #1 comfort food- Mac & Cheese? This lightened up version will not only satisfy your cravings but offer baby and kids delicious butternut squash!
3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 ¾ cups milk
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup pecorino Romano cheese, grated
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
1 pound uncooked pasta shells or corkscrews
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Chili garlic sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine squash, broth, milk and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a gentle boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, approximately 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Place hot squash mixture in food processor or blender. Add Greek yogurt and puree until smooth. Remove lid, add cheddar, pecorino and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and puree until cheese is melted and combined.
- Add squash mixture to pasta, stir until combined.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add panko and cook until golden brown, approx 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Spread pasta mixture evenly into a lightly greased 13x9-baking dish and sprinkle panko mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from heat, allow to slightly cool.
- Season with fresh parsley, salt, pepper and dash of chili garlic sauce for a little heat. Serve.
For BABY - pulse the cooled mac and cheese in a mini blender a few times, until a desired consistency is reached.