• Can be made gluten free by using brown rice linguine noodles
Nut-free Chocolate Chip Coconut Granola Bars
I am always looking for healthy, nut-free recipes to put in my kids’ lunch kits. Store-bought granola bars and fruit snacks are typically very high sugar, so I spent many weekends trying to perfect just the right, healthy, chewy granola bars that my kids love.
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
½ cup honey
¼ cup butter, melted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper, letting the paper overlap.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. In a medium bowl whisk together fruit purée, honey, butter and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until dry ingredients are completely coated.
- Pour wet granola mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges. Use the back of the spoon or hands to press down firmly until granola is tightly packed.
- Bake on middle rack of the oven for approx. 25 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and dry to touch. Remove pan from oven and let cool completely. Using the parchment paper overlap, pull out cooled slab and transfer to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut bars into 16 pieces (approx. 1½ x 4 inches each). Tightly wrap individual bars in plastic wrap and store in fridge.