• Can be made gluten free by using brown rice linguine noodles
Chocolate Crack-up Cookies
I was trying to develop a treat for my son’s school Christmas celebration that could fit within the school allergy restrictions. So here it is… the most delicious dairy-, egg- and nut-free cookie ever! And if that were not exciting enough… it also contains greens! Chewy brownie on the inside and crisp powdered sugar on the outside... this recipe is a must-try.
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 ¼ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar, cocoa powder, Baby Gourmet, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to cocoa mixture in 3 parts, mixing each addition well for a soft, wet batter.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. It must be well chilled to roll, so don’t skip this step.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough and roll between your hands to make 1 ½ inch ball formations. Roll them in icing sugar until well coated (the more sugar, the better the final effect!). Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, but be sure to check at 8. They should be puffed and set to create a soft, brownie-like texture.
- Cool completely on rack. Store in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze.