Chicken & Cherry Salad with Goat Cheese
I could eat salads every day in the summer; however, my kids may not share my same passion for leafy greens. This recipe ensures we all get something we like: chicken, fresh cherries and warm cheese… yum!!!
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. finely chopped shallot
2 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
¾ tbsp. grated lemon zest
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 egg, whisked
1 tbsp. water
1 11-oz. log soft goat cheese, cut into 6 rounds
1 ½ lbs. chicken cutlets
1 head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 cups arugula
2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved
¼ cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place bread crumbs on a plate. Combine whisked egg with water and sprinkle with fresh pepper. Turn goat cheese rounds in egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs, covering all sides. Place on rimmed baking sheets. Bake cheese rounds until cheese is warm but not melted, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Thinly slice chicken cross-wise.
- Combine greens, cherries and walnuts in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among 6 plates. Top with sliced chicken and one warm goat cheese round. Serve.
- For BABY 8+ months: Purée/pulse 1 tablespoon cooked chicken, 5 pitted cherries and 3 tablespoons water (or liquid of choice) until desired consistency is reached. Serve.
- For BABY 10+ months: Cut up cooked chicken and pitted cherries into bite-sized pieces. Serve.