Asparagus Pesto Linguine
• Can be made gluten free by using brown rice linguine noodles
• For BABY 8 months+: Remove 1 tbsp of pesto and ¼ cup cooked pasta, puree/pulse in the mini processor with 1 tbsp pasta cooking water until chunky texture is reached. Serve.
• If there is extra pesto, freeze into ice cube trays and use later on for grilled cheese spread or add to cooked pasta for a quick meal.
** Pine nuts are optional if you are concerned about allergies. Health Canada has removed the “wait until after 2 years” recommendation to introduce nuts. They suggest introducing nuts early may prevent allergies.
Tid Bits: Asparagus is high in antioxidants and rich in folate, which promotes heart health and helps baby produce and maintain new cells.
1 -340g box linguine
¼ cup pine nuts (optional)**
1 pound thin asparagus, coarsely chopped
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, mint and tarragon
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
½ lemon, juiced
1/3 cup olive oil
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add pasta and cook until el dente, about 9-11 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, in a small skillet, toast pine nuts until slightly browned.
- Using a food processor, puree the asparagus, herbs, cheese, pine nuts and lemon juice. With the machine on, drizzle oil, adding more if necessary to form a creamy pesto.
- In a large bowl, combine linguine, pesto and ½ cup of reserved cooking water. Toss to coat- serve.